What if we as teachers and schools, did a better job outlining our responsibilities and expectations? Check out my "client proposal" draft that I want to try out this year!
At the Centre for Musical Minds, we believe there is music in every person, and it is our responsibility to help each student realize his/her musical dreams and goals. Fundamentally we want our students to have a positive learning experience that pushes each student to a level they never thought possible; to reach their highest versions of themselves. We prepare each of our students with a solid foundation that lends itself to numerous non-musical benefits such as grit, determination, persistence, spatial reasoning, problem solving, self worth and more. CMM faculty knows how to teach and get results that last a lifetime. CMM is unique because we invest in our faculty, their continuing education, our families, experiences and our in-house concert level instruments. You truly receive the VERY best private music training has to offer throughout the country.
- Musical literacy (Fundamentals)
- Enjoyment in the learning process (Grit!)
- Enriching public performances (Creativity)
- Inspired Learning (Passion)
- Doing something well (Pride)
The relationship of the teacher to the student and parents, or the adult enrolled, is key. Likewise, so is lesson attendance and consistency in home practice. Effort x Skill = Mastery. We use the following 10 quality controls to achieve our goals with each student:
- Teacher/Student Goal Alignment
- Consistent Lesson Attendance
- Creative Solutions to Absences
- Practice Chart (expectation of practice is 5 days per week)
- Lesson Assignment Sheet
- Repertoire List
- Musical Minds Graded Technique or Royal Conservatory Level
- BINGO Card for musical community involvement/creativity
- Semester Report Card
- Regular Performance Opportunities
Many people ask what they can expect from us when starting their music lessons. It's a legitimate question, and one that I feel is possible to answer in a more concrete way if we outline years of study. Here is an outline of what you can expect from CMM during your tenure with us:
- Years 1-2: Beginner Level. Foundation-building happens here, so there are no cracks in our music learning house. Each student learns approximately 30-40 pieces throughout the year, participates in 2-3 recitals, and we encourage the spring adjudicated event. Students finish 1 theory book per year. Practice expectation is 10-20 minutes per day, 5-6 days per week.
- Years 3-4: Late Beginner Level. Continued foundation-building and more creativity. Each student learns approximately 20-30 pieces throughout the year, participates in the majority of public recitals, and both adjudicated events are encouraged. Students finish 1 theory book per year. Practice expectation is 20-30 minutes per day, 5-6 days per week.
- Years 4-6: Early Intermediate Level. This is when music learning really starts to become fun. Students have a solid skill set, many performances in their experience bank, and all kinds of creative opportunities to help spark their individual interests. More student input is encouraged during this time and requests are taken seriously. Practice expectation is 30-45 minutes per day, 5-6 days per week.
- Years 6-8: Late Intermediate/Early Advanced Level. This is the goal for most musicians. It’s a level of mastery that is achieved which allows for incredible freedom to learn whatever one might want. Classical, jazz, or otherwise. Practice expectation is 45-60 minutes per day, 5-6 days per week, depending on the seriousness of the student.
- Years 8+: Advanced Level. This level of playing typically is what one might expect from a collegiate music major, or someone who takes their music study very seriously. Practice expectation is 60 or more minutes per day, 5-6 days per week.
All Tuition and Fees for a 12-month Course of Study
Please see full cost of study over 12 months of music lessons at the Centre for Musical Minds. Cost is inclusive of 45-minute lesson tuition, which is what we recommend, all music and public performances. You have the option of several add-on events where you or your child will perform for a judge. Signup for that is separate, and payment is collected at the time of sign up.
Tuition cost may be pro-rated based on start date, you may receive a pay-in-full promotion, annual promotional discount, or other forms of credits applied to the course of study you are enrolling for. Tuition payments may be broken into 12 month installments, equaling $191.66, one month in advance at no additional cost to you. See your invoice for full details.
Description and Pricing for Annual Cost
Annual Enrollment Fee