March 1, Musical Minds Online launches as a VOD service and will appear in all the app stores. With the rise of video learning, this means there are more people learning how to play piano than ever before, so I wanted to write a short post on how to maximize learning and growth potential while on this musical journey.
If you're signed up and learning to play piano online, or even in person, I applaud you. We're kindred spirits. You're successful. You're also busy, you're tired and yet you still want to be the best version of yourself. You've even decided to take up learning how to play piano! I'm all of those things, and I decided I wanted to take up voice lessons in my not-so-spare time, so let me tell you, I can REALLY relate to this musical learning journey, on multiple levels.
Here is my Top 5 list of things you can do to make learning more impactful:
- Show yourself grace. There will be days and weeks you are basically a rock star and practice well. Great! There will also be days and sometimes weeks where you aren't. That's okay too. Learning a new skill is a journey that isn't immediate, and requires simply integrating into your daily routine when you are able.
- Use the rewind icon. You're learning a language so this stuff takes time, and repetition. Watch the same video 10 different times if it's beneficial to you!
- There is no hurry. Take time between videos to play the songs you learn for a few weeks at a time, or until you are comfortable enough to move on to the next new thing. Give yourself space to enjoy and feel good about what you're playing.
- Play. Purposefully repeat ideas and songs with the intention of improvement, or simply enjoyment. The more you "do", the better you become.
- Enjoy the process! The beauty of Musical Minds Online is that it's not gimmicky. Each lesson in the series is building on what you've learned in the previous segment or lesson. This means you are acquiring the skills to actually be a musician, and that is a beautiful thing.